Hello everyone! Today, as it’s New Years Eve, I will be reflecting on the books I read in 2018 by doing Jamie’s End of Year Survey.
I read 58 books this year which was less than I wanted to but I guess it’s a great achievement considering how busy I’ve been. I’ve cried, squealed, screamed and gone through almost every emotion possible because of books. I’d say it’s been a good year.
So, let’s get started!
Best in Books:
1. Best Book You Read In 2018?
Well… that’s hard because there are so many for different reasons. However, I’ll go with Bright We Burn by Kiersten White.
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Kingdom of Ash. I waited for it for over 2 years. OVER 2 YEARS. And although I loved many parts of it, most of it felt rushed and underdeveloped.
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
The Fifth Season surprised me most because loads of it was written in second person which was really different for me.
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
I’ve been pushing people to read Strange the Dreamer, most people haven’t 🙁, one person has, one person said they would but I don’t think they did. Sigh.
5. Best series you started in 2018? Best Sequel of 2018? Best Series Ender of 2018?
Best series I started: Air Awakens
Best sequel: A Gathering of Shadows
Best Series Ender: Bright we Burn
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2018?
Naomi Novik. I fell in love with her writing in Uprooted and now I want to read her other books like Spinning Silver.
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle, I don’t usually read murder mysteries but I loved this.
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
Lifel1k3, it was a rollercoaster ride from start to finish!
9. Book You Read In 2018 That You Would Be MOST Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
A Reaper at the Gates because I can’t remember what happened!
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2018?
Kingdom of Ash. Although I complain about this book Aelin looks stunning in that cover! ❤
11. Most memorable character of 2018?
Hmmmm…. There were so many! I think I’ll go with Lada from the Conqueror’s Saga. Her story will stay with me for a long time.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2018?
The Night Circus, it was so magical!
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2018?
Vox, I didn’t like it as much as I thought I would but it was definitely thought-provoking.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2018 to finally read?
The Book Thief!
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2018?
Honestly, there are so many I actually can’t choose!
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2018?
Shortest: A Human Stain (37 pages)
(A Human Stain is a really creepy short story that you can read online- check it out!)
Longest: Kingdom of Ash (992 pages)
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
The Traitor Baru Cormorant left me absolutely shook.
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
(OTP = one true pairing if you aren’t familiar)
Well, my all time OTP is Rowaelin (I know they’re really unpopular with loads of people but I just inexplicably love them).
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Lemon Fresh and Eve from Lifel1k3. They’re so cute together and even refer to eachother as ‘bestest’.
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2018 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
Lifel1k3 by Jay Kristoff.
21. Best Book You Read In 2018 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure/Bookstagram, Etc.
Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard.
22. Newest fictional character you wish was your friend from a book you read in 2018?
I want a friend like Bonner from Onyx and Ivory.
23. Best 2018 debut you read?
Children of Blood and Bone!
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
The setting in the A Darker Shade of Magic series was very vivid and I liked the world building of the three Londons.
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
Strange the Dreamer was funny and fun to read.
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2018?
Kingdom of Ash made me cry at the end because emotional goodbyes get me every time.
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
The Toymakers by Robert Dinsdale.
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
The Empress by S. J. Kincaid crushed my soul by being so depressing.
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2018?
Scythe was very unique and had a weird but interesting idea.
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad?
War Storm made me mad by being long and boring.
Blogging/ Bookish life:
I’m very new to the blogging world so I can’t actually answer all of these questions but I’ll answer the ones that I can.
6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year?
Finding the time to actually read and relax has been challenging for me.
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
I found this website called Juniper books where you can get custom covers and it’s so cool!
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set or yourself at the beginning of this year?
My goal was to start a book blog and I did!
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2018 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2019?
Circe by Madeline Miller, I really need to read this book.
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2019 (non-debut)?
KING OF SCARS!!!!
3. 2019 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
The Descendant of the Crane.
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2019?
Darkdawn by Jay Kristoff.
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2019?
Continue blogging and not lose my determination to continue blogging.
6. A 2019 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone (if applicable
That’s my review of 2018 and I can’t wait for 2019. What about you?