Welcome, one and all, to my August wrap-up!
I have read a lot this month which is great- and probably linked to the Retelling-A-Thon. I haven’t blogged as much as I wanted to though which isn’t as great but it’s not that bad (and I was on holiday so it’s a miracle I got any blogging done). It’s been a very exciting month so without further ado, let’s dive in!
What I am reading:
Tiger Queen by Annie Sullivan
What I plan to read next:
Wonderland edited by Marie O’Regan and Paul Kane
Books I’ve Read:
(1) The Orphanage of Gods by Helena Coggan:
- 1 star
- It was an absolute waste of time and trees.
(2) The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller:
- 3.5 Stars
- An interesting and moving retelling of The Iliad but it wasn’t as good as Circe.
(3) The Silence of the Girls by Pat Barker:
- 4 stars
- Another moving and powerful retelling of The Iliad.
(4) The Never Tilting World by Rin Chupeco:
- 4 stars
- It was an imaginative read based on the theme of climate change but framed in a fantasy setting.
(5) Song of Sorrow by Amanda Allen:
- 3 Stars
- An alright prequel to Rapunzel which I overall enjoyed.
(6) Shadow Frost by Coco Ma:
- 4 stars
- This was a fun, fantasy book- perfect for fans of Throne of Glass.
(7) Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce:
- 3.5 Stars
- This was a very different Little Red Riding Hood retelling with a satisfying ending.
(8) Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik:
- 5 STARS!
- I adored this book. It was perfect in every way!
(9) The Demon World by Sally Green:
- 4 Stars
- The gripping sequel to The Smoke Thieves that ended on the most cruel cliffhanger.
ARCs I’ve received:
ARCs (Advanced Readers’ Copies), proof copies or review copies are books freely given to people like book bloggers by publishers or authors before the release of the book in exchange for an honest review.
- The Monster by Seth Dickinson
- Steel Crow Saga by Paul Krueger
I’ve been emailing various publishers for months requesting physical ARCs to no avail. However, when I came back from holiday during August to not one but six physical ARCs and an awesome snake pin waiting for me! It was a dream come true! Here they are:
- The Demon World by Sally Green
- The Girl the Sea Gave Back by Adrienne Young
- Wonderland edited by Marie O’Regan and Paul Kane
- The Beautiful by Renee Ahdieh
- Kingdom of Souls by Rena Barron (I got the limited edition snake cover proof)
- Exclusive Kingdom of Souls snake pin
- Our Bloody Pearl by D.N. Bryn
Books I’ve Reviewed:
- The Dragon Republic| 5 stars
- The Orphanage of Gods| 1 stars
- The Silence of the Girls| 4 stars
- The Demon World | 4 stars
“What’s more important in a book: character development or a gripping plot?
The answer seems obvious: both are equally important. However, I’ve noticed that some books tend to lean towards either characters or plot to drive the story forward.“
“Well, remember when you were younger and in every story you thought there was a ‘goodie’ and a ‘baddie’? An antihero is both of those things and neither of them at the same time.”
My favourite post of the month:
This month I did my 100th post and it was all about my reading journey. It was a very emotional and special post to me.
That’s all the reading and blogging of August wrapped up! What was your bookish month like? Let me know in the comments!