Today, I bring you the Mid-Year Freakout Tag where I review my reading in the first half of the year. I’m not sure who started the tag but it’s very popular with book bloggers and booktubers alike! I didn’t do it last year but it looks fun and I was tagged by Azrah from Az You Read so I decided to give it a go!
Best book(s) you’ve read so far in 2020
The Empire of Gold by S. A. Chakraborty: This is the last book of the Daevabad trilogy and it truly was a beautiful conclusion to the series that filled me up with every emotion imaginable.
Where Dreams Descend by Janella Angeles: This book comes out in August but I was lucky enough to read a review copy of it and trust me when I say that this book is fabulous! It is inspired by The Phantom of the Opera and full of glitz, magic and drama- I loved it!
Best sequel you’ve read so far in 2020
The Kingdom of Copper by S. A. Chakraborty: This is the second book of the Daevabad trilogy and I’d say it’s not just the best sequel I’ve read in 2020 but the best sequel I’ve read EVER!
New release(s) you haven’t read but want to
- The Silence of Bones by June Hur
- Heart of Flames by Nicki Pau Preto
- A Song Below Water by Bethany C. Morrow
- Parachutes by Kelly Yang
Most anticipated release(s) for the second half of the year
- A Sky Beyond the Storm by Sabaa Tahir
- The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V. E. Schwab
- The Burning God by R. F. Kuang
- These Violent Delights by Chloe Gong (I have a review copy of this one which I’m really excited to read)
All the Stars and Teeth by Adalyn Grace: This was a really anticipated read but it fell so flat for me. I didn’t find it interesting at all and couldn’t connect to the characters.
House of Earth and Blood by Sarah J. Maas: I had no idea what to expect from this book but I actually quite liked it?! It was a fun read although it was far longer than necessary.
Favorite new to me author(s)
- Janella Angeles
- Intisar Khanani
- Zoraida Córdova
Newest fictional crush
Uh I don’t have one actually.
New favorite character(s)
- Nahri from the Daevabad trilogy: I admire Nahri and how smart and unyielding she is in extremely trying situations. She is also so kind and she always chooses what is right for others over what would benefit her.
- Alizayd al Qahtani from the Daevabad trilogy: He really grows over the trilogy and has a tendency to always say the wrong thing but he’s also very sincere and has the best intentions.
- Kallia from Where Dreams Descend: Kallia is spectacular in every way. I love her determination and flair for the dramatic!
A book that made you cry
Not a single book made me cry this year, in general it is very rare that books make me cry at all even though I am an emotional person. When I feel sad about something in a book I don’t think it manifests as tears but my heart physically hurts. That being said, the book that was closest to making me cry was The Empire of Gold.
A book that made you happy
Once Upon An Eid is an anthology full of short stories about celebrating Eid by Muslim authors and when I read in in Ramadan this year it filled me with joy!
Most beautiful book you’ve bought so far this year
I bought a hardcover of An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir and it’s stunning I love it!
What books do you need to read by the end of the year?
Well there are quite a lot of books I couldn’t mention them all! Some review copies I need to read are:
- These Violent Delights by Chloe Gong
- The Once and Future Witches.by Alix E. Harrow
- Crowning Soul by Sahira Javaid
And here are some other books I hope to read during 2020:
- Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo
- The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon
- Ayesha at Last by Uzma Jalaluddin
- Clap When You Land by Elizabeth Acevedo
- The Wolf of Oren-Yaro by K. S. Villoso
- Stamped from the Beginning by Ibram X. Kendi
So that’s the tag! I found some new favourites in the first half of 2020 and I hope to read some more amazing books during the rest of the year too.
I tag Zainab @ Em’s Bookish Musings and anyone else who wants to give this tag a try.
What has your favourite book of 2020 so far been? Let me know in the comments!